Facebook Facebook Facebook Facebook

Categories

Balochistan PA: 65% questions remain unaddressed during 36th session

Posted by
Published: January 23, 2017 12:59 pm


ISLAMABAD: The Provincial Assembly of Balochistan deferred 65 percent Starred Questions due to absence of lawmakers in 36th session who sponsored them.

The sponsors of these questions were mostly from the Opposition parties who missed the opportunity to oversee and interrogate the functioning of government departments.  The 36th session of assembly was prorogued after convening six sittings between January 6 and January 20, 2017.

The House deferred Question Hour during four sittings due to the absence of their respective movers. The only Question Hour was held during fourth sitting and seven out of 10 Starred Questions were taken up and responded to by the relevant minister on the floor of the House. In addition, a lawmaker raised one Supplementary Question during the same sitting.

From the total 20 Starred Questions appearing on the agenda during the session, the House managed to take up only seven questions that received oral as well as written replies from the departments concerned. The remaining 13 (65%) questions were deferred by the House due to the absence of their movers.

On average, 16 (23%) members were present at the outset and 17 (25%) at the adjournment of each sitting of the session while two-members, on average, remained also present. Each sitting, on average, started 40 minutes behind the scheduled time and lasted two hours and 30 minutes. The sixth sitting was observed as the longest sitting which continued for four hours and 22 minutes while the first sitting was the shortest one consuming 94 minutes of the total proceedings’ time.

Among the parliamentary leaders of political parties in the House, parliamentary leader of PML attended five sittings followed by PkMAP (4), ANP and MWM (3 each), JUI-F and NP (2 each). However, the Parliamentary Leader of BNP remained absent throughout the session.

The Speaker attended five sittings and presided over the session for eight hours and 16 minutes (55%). The remaining proceedings for seven hours (45%) were chaired by the Members of Panel of Chairpersons. The Chief Minister attended two out of six sittings and remained present for three hours and 17 minutes (22% of the session time) while the Leader of the Opposition attended as many sittings for five hours and 29 minutes (36% of the session time).

Posted by on January 23, 2017. Filed under Balochistan Assembly,Latest Post,News,Questions Balochistan Assembly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.