Facebook Facebook Facebook Facebook


Only 27% questions taken up in Punjab Assembly

Posted by
Published: January 6, 2015 07:00 pm

Punjab Assembly 101ISLAMABAD: Only 27% of the questions raised during the recently-concluded Punjab Assembly session were taken up and responded by the relevant government departments, leaving 73% of the questions unaddressed.

The session began on December 5, 2014 and was prorogued on January 5 after 16 sittings. According to FAFEN’s direct observation of the assembly proceedings, a total of 461 questions (428 starred and 33 un-starred) were raised during the session, giving an average of 29 questions per sitting. Of these, only 132 (27%) were taken up on the floor of the House while the rest were left unaddressed.

The highest number of questions (52) was raised in the ninth sitting, while no questions were put up in the seventh and eighth sittings as the Question Hour was suspended to debate the senseless attack at a school in Peshawar on December 16, 2014 that killed 141 people including 132 children.

As many as 52 questions (35 starred and 17 un-starred) were addressed to the Ministry of School Education, followed by 42 questions related to the Revenue Department and 41 to the Ministry of Zakat & Ushr.

Thirty-eight questions were addressed to the Home Department, followed by the 35 questions each to the Ministries of Health; Irrigation; and Housing, Urban Development & Public Health Engineering. Thirty-four questions each were addressed to the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Higher Education, followed by the ministries/departments of Environment and Youth Affairs, Sports, Archaeology and Tourism (18 each); Labour (13); Mines & Minerals (12); Energy (seven); Special Education (six); Population Welfare (five); Finance and Information & Culture (four each). Moreover, a total of 28 questions were addressed to the Ministries of Jail and Excise & Taxation.

Question Hour is an important part of executive oversight that allows parliamentarians to bring an issue of their constituents to the floor of the House and assess the performance of various government ministries/departments.

Rule 42 of the Punjab Assembly’s Rules of Procedure allocates the first hour of each sitting, after the recitation of the Holy Quran and swearing in of members, for the Question Hour. Questions are categorized as starred and un-starred based on the requirement of verbal and written answers respectively.

Posted by on January 6, 2015. Filed under Punjab Assembly,Questions Punjab Assembly. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry